Our school opened its doors in 1962 and was named after Mary Ellen Cunningham, a kind and caring teacher in Central Texas during the late 1800s, retiring from Austin ISD in 1942. Cunningham has a rich history of academic success and community involvement. Our building has grown with additions and updates over the decades as the neighborhood and student needs increased. Long live Cunningham!
We create Global Citizens who engage in problem-solving and critical thinking for a lifetime.
- in giving all students opportunities and experiences that enrich their lives
- schools should be a safe place where all students feel valued
- our community benefits when we develop inclusive environments for learning
- becoming literate is a basic human right
- learning is most meaningful when it is relevant to each student’s life
- in fostering problem-solving and critical thinking through the Arts
- all students should engage in play-based learning